Wednesday, September 16, 2009

One in a Million; Guns Nʼ Roses

“One in a Million” is one of the most controversial songs of GN’R. It was written entirely by Axl and has negative post against blacks, homosexuals, police and immigrants. And still asks for radicals and racists don’t point their fingers at him, he is just “a small town white boy, just tryin’ to make ends meet.” Rose said it’s just a misunderstanding, as you can read forth in an interview he granted from Rolling Stone magazine back in 1989 (copied from here), but I don’t know, he has at least a very peculiar way of seeing life.

The other members of the band wanted the song wasn’t released, but Rose made his point of view. The paragraph below is a piece of an interview with Slash for Rolling Stone, this time in February 1991.

After the enormous success of Guns N’ Roses’ debut album, “Appetite for Destruction”, and the follow-up EP, GN’R Lies, the group found itself facing serious trouble. For starters, the band was ostracized because of the lyrics in the GN’R Lies song “One in a Million,” which included references to “faggots” and “niggers”. The charges of racism particularly affected Slash, whose father is white and mother is black. “When Axl first came up with the song and really wanted to do it, I said I didn’t think it was very cool,” says Slash. “But Axl gets very adamant about expressing himself, and his lyrics are very direct. He’s very honest, and he’s got his reasons... I don’t regret doing ‘One in a Million’, I just regret what we’ve been through because of it and the way people have perceived our personal feelings.”

Now, Axl’s defense:

So far the song that’s inspired the most controversy in the band’s short career has been “One in a Million”. How did you come to write that song?
“One in a Million” was written while sitting in the apartment of my friend West Arkeen, who’s like the sixth member of the band. I wrote it at his house, sitting around bored watching TV. I can’t really play guitar too well, I only play the top two strings, and I would write a little piece at a time. I started writing about wanting to get out of LA, getting away for a little while. I’d been down to the downtown-LA Greyhound bus station. If you haven’t been there, you can’t say shit to me about what goes on and about my point of view. There are a large number of black men selling stolen jewelry, crack, heroin and pot, and most of the drugs are bogus. Rip-off artists selling parking spaces to parking lots that there’s no charge for. Trying to misguide every kid that gets off the bus and doesn’t quite know where he’s at or where to go, trying to take the person for whatever they’ve got. That’s how I hit town. The thing with “One in a Million” is, basically, we’re all one in a million, we’re all here on this earth. We’re one fish in a sea. Let’s quit fucking with each other, fucking with me.

The lyrics have incited a lot of protest, so let’s go over them line by line. Let’s start with one of the verses, “Police and niggers, that’s right/Get outta my way/Don’t need to buy none/ Of your gold chains today.”

I used words like police and niggers because you’re not allowed to use the word nigger. Why can black people go up to each other and say, “Nigger,” but when a white guy does it all of a sudden it’s a big put-down. I don’t like boundaries of any kind. I don’t like being told what I can and what I can’t say. I used the word nigger because it’s a word to describe somebody that is basically a pain in your life, a problem. The word nigger doesn’t necessarily mean black. Doesn’t John Lennon have a song “Woman Is the Nigger of the World”? There’s a rap group, N.W.A., Niggers with Attitude. I mean, they’re proud of that word. More power to them. Guns N’ Roses ain’t bad ... N.W.A. is baad! Mr. Bob Goldthwait said the only reason we put these lyrics on the record was because it would cause controversy and we’d sell a million albums. Fuck him! Why’d he put us in his skit? We don’t just do something to get the controversy, the press.

How about the next verse? Immigrants and faggots/They make no sense to me/ They come to our country/And think they’ll do as they please/ Like start some mini-Iran or spread some fuckin’ disease.” Why that reference to immigrants?

When I use the word immigrants, what I’m talking about is going to a 7-11 or Village pantries — a lot of people from countries like Iran, Pakistan, China, Japan et cetera, get jobs in these convenience stores and gas stations. Then they treat you as if you don’t belong here. I've been chased out of a store with Slash by a six-foot-tall Iranian with a butcher knife because he didn’t like the way we were dressed. Scared me to death. All I could see in my mind was a picture of my arm on the ground, blood going everywhere. When I get scared, I get mad. I grabbed the top of one of these big orange garbage cans and went back at him with this shield, going, “Come on!” I didn’t want to back down from this guy. Anyway that’s why I wrote about immigrants. Maybe I should have been more specific and said, “Joe Schmoladoo at the 7-11 and faggots make no sense to me.” That’s ridiculous! I summed it up simply and said, “Immigrants.”

How about the use of the word “faggots”?

I’ve had some very bad experiences with homosexuals. When I was first coming to Los Angeles, I was about eighteen or nineteen. On my first hitchhiking ride, this guy told me I could crash at his hotel. I went to sleep and woke up while this guy was trying to rape me. I threw him down on the floor. He came at me again. I went running for the door. He came at me. I pinned him between the door and the wall. I had a straight razor, and I pulled the razor and said, “Don’t ever touch me! Don’t ever think about touching me! Don’t touch yourself and think about me! Nothing!” Then I grabbed my stuff and split with no place to go, no sleep, in the middle of nowhere outside of St. Louis. That’s why I have the attitude I have.

Are you anti-homosexual then?
I’m pro-heterosexual. I can’t get enough of women, and I don’t see the same thing that other men can see in men. I’m not into gay or bisexual experiences. But that’s hypocritical of me, because I’d rather see two women together than just about anything else. That happens to be my personal, favorite thing.

How about gay-bashing? Have you ever beaten up somebody simply because of their sexual preference?

No! I never have. The most I do is, like, on the way to the Troubadour in “Boystown”, on Santa Monica Boulevard, I’ll yell out the car window, “Why don’t you guys like pussy?” ‘Cause I’m confused. I don’t understand it. Anti-homosexual? I’m not against them doing what they want to do as long as it’s not hurting anybody else and they’re not forcing it upon me. I don’t need them in my face or, pardon the pun, up my ass about it.

The “One in a Million” lyrics about “faggots” who “spread some fuckin’ disease” got GN’R bounced from an AIDS benefit in New York by the Gay Men’s Health Crisis, one of the groups that was involved with putting on the show. How did you feel about that?

We’re in no way associated with the Gay Men’s Health Crisis, except that David Geffen is on the board of directors for the concert and he’s the owner of our record company. We were asked to do this, and we wanted to contribute some money to help stop a deadly disease that’s killing humans of all kinds. A friend of mine who’s homosexual and was largely responsible for the record companies taking notice of us was upset about it because we didn’t even get a chance to clear ourselves, to make good. AIDS is something very scary. The concert was something we wanted to do and felt it was important to do but we were denied the opportunity. We were even denied the opportunity to say anything about it. It was just publicly announced that we weren’t allowed to do it because the Gay Men’s Health Crisis wouldn’t let us. I don’t feel they have the right to deny the money and attention they would have gotten from us playing. It’s pride, it’s ignorant and it’s childish.

Guess I needed
Sometime to get away
I needed some peace of mind
Some peace of mind that'll stay
So I thumbed it
Down to sixth and L.A.
Maybe your greyhound
Could be my way
Police and niggers
That's right
Get out of my way
Don't need to buy none of your
Goldchains today
I don't need no bracelets
Clamped in front of my back
Just need my ticket till then
Won't you cut me some slack

You're one in a million
Yeah, that's what you are
You're one in a million, babe
You are a shooting star
Maybe someday we'll see you
Before you make us cry
You know we tried to reach you
But you were much to high
Much to high
Much to high
Much to high

Immigrants and faggots
They make no sense to me
They come to our country
And think they'll do as they please
Like start some mini Iran
Or spread some fucking disease
They talk so many goddamn ways
It's all greek to me
Well some say I'm lazy
And others say that's just me
Some say I'm crazy
I guess I'll always be
But it's been such a long time
Since I knew right from wrong
It's all the means to an end, I,
I keep on movin' along

You're one in a million
Yeah, that's what you are
You're one in a million, babe
You are a shooting star
Maybe someday we'll see you
Before you make us cry
You know we tried to reach you
But you were much to high
Much to high
Much to high
Much to high

Radicals and racists
Don't point your finger at me
I'm a small town white boy
Just tryin' to make ends meet
Don't need your religion
Don't watch that much TV
Just makin' my livin', baby,
Well that's enough for me

You're one in a million
Yeah, that's what you are
You're one in a million, babe
You are a shooting star
Maybe someday we'll see you
Before you make us cry
You know we tried to reach you
But you were much to high
Much to high
Much to high
Much to high





No comments:

Post a Comment