Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dream a Little Dream of Me; The Mamas & The Papas

“Dream a Little Dream of Me” was composed in 1931 by Fabian Andre and Wilbur Schwandt and the lyrics was written by Gus Kahn. It was sung by many artists, especially by jazz singers, like Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Barbara Carroll, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby... But it became better known when The Mamas & The Papas recorded it.*

In its Wikipedia article we can read that “the group had often sung the song for fun, having been familiarized with it by member Michelle Phillips whose father had been friends with the song’s co-writer Fabian Andre in Mexico City where Michelle Phillips’ family had resided when she was a young girl. Fellow ‘Mama’ Cass Elliot suggested to group leader John Phillips that the group record ‘Dream a Little Dream of Me’; according to him she was unhappy while recording the song, objecting to its campiness, but Elliot herself would tell Melody Maker: ‘I tried to sing it like it was 1943 and somebody had just come in and said, ‘Here’s a new song.’ I tried to sing it as if it were the first time’.”

The Mama & The Papa’s version was the only one that had the fade out whistling until 2008. Last year a singer called Nicole Atkins released a cover album named “Digs Others People’s Songs” and this “Dream a Little Dream” was recorded on it. Here is the link of her performance.



Ah! I almost forgot! Cass Elliot version reached #12 on the Billboard Hot 100 in August 1968, same year of its releasing.

Stars shining bright above you
Night breezes seem to whisper "I love you"
Birds singin' in the sycamore tree
Dream a little dream of me

Say nighty-night and kiss me
Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me
While I'm alone and blue as can be
Dream a little dream of me

Stars fading but I linger on dear
Still craving your kiss
I'm longing to linger till dawn dear
Just saying this

Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you
But in your dreams whatever they be
Dream a little dream of me

Stars fading but I linger on dear
Still craving your kiss
I'm longing to linger till dawn dear
Just saying this

Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you
Sweet dreams that leave all worries far behind you
But in your dreams whatever they be
Dream a little dream of me



1 comment: