Friday, May 27, 2011

Pequeño Vals; Marlango

How lovely is French music? The loveliest! There is so much passion in the voice of French singers and the piano is so luxuriously strong... I mean, the cabaret 20s style and the great diva's like Piaf, Hardy, Mathieu, etc.

Now imagine a cabaret/jazz/David Lynch¹ inspired trio from Madrid, Spain. The result is Marlango. As could only be, this band is led by a woman: her name is Leonor Watling. Watling's partners are Alejandro Pelayo (au piano) and Oscar Ybarra (au trompette).

The first thing that catch our attention is the name of the band. The explanation about it is as charming as creative. It was taken from Tom Waits' (who are one of Marlango's inspiration) intro for "I Wish I Was in New Orleans".

"I used to know this girl named Suzie Marlango. And her brother's band name was Joe Marlango. Joe always wanted to kill me. He sang in a bandcalled the Rodbenders. Suzie Marlango used to wear these angora sweaters. I'm crazy about angora sweaters... I guess It's kind of a hang-up of mine. She had angora socks, and angora shoes. I believe she was originally from Angora. I don't know where she is anymore, but every time I see an angora sweater, I think maybe inside will be Susie Marlango. He-he-he... Maybe she's in New Orleans. Well, I'll be there..."


Marlango released four studio albums. The second one, "Automatic Perfection" has our whistling song of today. Look, there is an interview with then in YouTube where they talk about this album, so if you want to watch it, here it goes.

Now... why does the song call "Pequeño Vals"? Why are there whistlings in it? Who does whistle? The answers to these questions belong to the unkown. :(

Download.

Would you mind if I just sit down here
And watch you dance that waltz?
It brings faith just to see
What two people can be
With a pattern
And a glass of bubbles

You go round and round and round
Round and round

Who can tell if the colors I see
Are the same for you and me?
Who can tell if scent that I smell
Is the same for both of us?

Would you mind if I just sit down here
And watch you dance that waltz?
It gives faith just to see
What two people can be
With a pattern
And a glass of bubbles

You go round and round and round
Round and round

Your steps drawn the milkyway
I see stars glowing in your footsteps

Would you mind if I just sit down here
And watch you dance that waltz?
It gives faith just to see
What two people can be
With a pattern
And a glass of bubbles

You go round and round and round
And a round building a milkyway for me




No comments:

Post a Comment