Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Glory; Radical Face

Radical Face is the Ben Cooper's musical project/alter ego. According to Wikipedia, "He named himself Radical Face because he 'thought it was kinda funny'". His music style is defined as indie pop / indietronica.¹

Radical Face has only one studio album called "Ghost". It was released in March, 2007 on Morr Music. "'Ghost' is a concept record. I know that's a dirty word to a lot of people, but I like concept records. It was written with the idea of houses having memories, and people leaving ghosts behind whenever they move from one place to the next. An idea that whatever we do in our homes is collected in the walls and might come out and haunt whoever moves in next. So the songs are all short stories, tied together with a theme."²

I could find on his website's forum a short explanation about the whistling song "Glory":

I have synesthesia, so I see colours when I hear certain pitches, but more clearer when I conceptualize a key signature. Like Glory, I see gold, and I figured out the pitches in my head with what notes (on a piano) give me gold, predicted it was based in C# Major because that key gives me gold too, and it turned out I was right (at least I think so haha).


I was born when they took my name
When the world turned wicked, when I joined their game
But I turned upon them
Like you always knew I'd do

I sat and dreamed at the foot of your bed
Split my skull and reached inside my head
Pulled out the pictures and wished that I'd forget
But you stitched me up then
Wiped the blood from off my chin

Now I sit on rooftop's edge
Muddy street beneath my swollen head
Trying to forget you
But we've never met

And the sky is ripped from the flying clouds
The chimneys' mouths spewing smoke around
And I can't stop coughing
My lungs just won't calm down
But still I keep grinning
As the blood from my face stains the ground

A bird, caught in the wires
Pleading for help I can't provide, I'm not that big
I hope for the best but nothing changes, I'm sorry

But I was blessed with bad eyes
There's a lot that I missed but I don't mind, I'm not that old
I'll find out what broke me soon enough

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment