Monday, May 2, 2011

Wonderful Place; N*E*R*D

Enough indie songs. At least for a while. From today till the end of the week, I am gonna post only rap/hip hop/R&B/funk songs with whistling. So I'm starting with N*E*R*D, an American funk/hip hop trio formed by Pharrell Williams, Chad Hugo (as a duo they are The Neptunes) and Shay Haley.¹

N*E*R*D is the acronym for the sentence "No-one Ever Really Dies." It's a funny coincidence to write it today, when everybody is disbelieving the notice of Bin Laden's death.

Anyways, N*E*R*D released four studio albums. One of them, "Fly or Die," from 2004, was listed in the book "1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die." This album has one whistling song.

The name of the song is "Wonderful Place." I found on RainyDawg.org a good review about this song, so I'll paste it here:

"'Wonderful Place' provides a second highlight. The track is split into two, with each half producing a stark contrast in sound and message. The opening four minutes exposes Pharrell as his hazy drugged-out Bobby James persona, except this time around he's not depressed or 'one hit away from being assed out,' but enjoying the pleasures of our natural world and its fuzzy little critters. A dwarfy whistle introduces his euphoric state and later slowly takes the song into completely different territory. The final three minutes features a return to top form on production for Pharrell and Chad. Acoustic guitar, swooping strings, twinkling percussion, and bongo drums create a mesmerizing beat that nearly overshadow Pharrell's lyrics describing a mother saving her baby from drowning during a fishing trip. The slightly bizarre lyrics are a nice retreat from the typical swooning and protesting. The song triumphantly concludes on the heartfelt message of 'Mom, I was waiting for you / Your baby / I love you,' providing a stellar end to an epic song."

So I also read on Song Meanings that this song was written after Pharrell having experienced some hallucinogenic drugs.
Damn, it's setting in now (so high)
Cuz cartoons are turning into real life
Lemons and limes are fighting
Fighting over straws
Like they were oil filled pipes

And why's the sun writing this song
And why is this funny to me
All of a sudden the mouse comes along
And what he sings brings harmony

You may not understand
Why there's a smile on my face
It's cuz this world could be
Such a wonderful place

Cuz some of these companies
Two-thousand began a race ??
But not me man
I see a wonderful place
The world's a wonderful place

My soul's in my smile
Don't frown
Just get up get up

Look at the birds
Look at the bees
Look at the skies
Look at the seas
It's a wonderful place

Look at the planes
Look at the cars
Look at the sun
Look at the stars

The wallpapers moving
My arms and my legs leave
A blur when i swipe
Sap is just oozing
The trees say "smoke blocks the sun"
So for them it's just night

The seven eyes look in thru the clouds
And why is that funny to me
And here comes the mouse singing loud
And what he sings brings harmony

You may not understand
Why there's a smile on my face
It's cuz this world could be
Such a wonderful place


No comments:

Post a Comment