Tuesday, May 31, 2011

General Plea to a Girlfriend; Arab Strap

The debut album of the Scottish band Arab Strap (MySpace) called "The Week Never Starts Round Here" from 1996 released one song that features whistlings.

In an interview with Stereokill, the multi-instrumentalist Malcolm Middleton, who created the band with the vocalist Aidan Moffat, answered:

Stereokill: You’ve recorded many albums over the course of your career. Which would you say you’re most proud of?

Middleton: Probaby the first Arab Strap album, The Week Never Starts Round Here. It’s completely undiluted and free from any self-expectations which we later developed.

In the band's website we can read that "the album was a bleak and dark affair focussing on the pain and turmoil of a failed relationship, rubbish jobs with worse wages and a love for Kate Moss - all set to the most brooding music. The melancholy and sadness of the music, coupled with their sometimes majestic, sometimes ramshackle live shows led to more than one comparison with Joy Division."


Reviewing the album, Pitchfork analyses the whistling song with the following words: "'General Plea to a Girlfriend' is abrasively lo-fi, and a few of the songs are a bit shapeless, but the duo's basic sound is well-established, with Middleton's guitar and drum machines laying out rough, urban landscapes for Moffat to wander through."

I can't make boasts about my body.
The workmanship is somewhat shoddy.
Sometimes I overwork my gob.
Can't buy you gifts, I've got no job.

I know you find my habits sickly.
I know sometimes I cum too quickly.
I don't mind jokes like "two-stoke wonder".
Just don't slash my trust asunder.


No comments:

Post a Comment