Monday, January 17, 2011

The Whistler and his Dog; Arthur Pryor

Dear Sir;

I don't know if you can help me, but it goes.
I am sixty-two years old, and when I was young, ( single digits ), I heard a song that was 100% whistling. My mother, who is now passed away, told me the song's name was, "A boy, and his dog."
I believe that I heard this song while watching "The Little Rascals." You know, "Spanky, and the Gang."
Anyway, try as I may, I can't find it anywhere on the net. I found your site by accident, and thought I'd give it a shot.

Thank You for your time.

---

Hello mr.,

I'm twenty-four years old, so it was very difficult for me to look for the song. I only knew "The Little Rascals" because of the 1994 remake, so these short films by "Our Gang" were a new world for me.

Well, I don't know if the song I'm sending to you is the song you want to listen to, but it was the only one that fits in the tips you gave me. The song is called "The Whistler and his Dog", it was composed by Arthur Pryor in 1905 and according to this website it was whistled by Buckwheat "while [he] pretends to be the whistler on the record."

I'll send you some videos and if it's the whistling song you are looking for, please let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zmWpo9RMaU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk1n2Df701M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnfeZuEvPH8

Salut!

---

GUSTAVO!!

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!
I have been looking for this song for a long time, but under completely different names.
"A dog, and his boy." "A boy, and his dog." "The boy, and his whistling dog." "The boy who whistles, but his dog doesn't."
Anyway, I just thought I'd take a chance with you, and it paid off.
Thank you so very much for your time
You know, when I watched those videos you suggested, I couldn't help laughing out loud.
It was such a joy to recall some of my favorite childhood memories.
So, thank you again for your help.
And may you have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Sincerely.
---

That's the entire reason of this blog. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment