Friday, October 30, 2009

Esotérico; Gilberto Gil

As you know I’m Brazilian. E não desisto nunca. But I haven’t updated my blog with our songs up to now. There is just a little one! My friends ask me: “por que você não põe músicas brasileiras? (why don’t you put Brazilian songs?)” and I try to explain that there are many others that I end up taking a rain check. Today’s post is for them and for my followers from my beautiful country.

Gilberto Gil is largely known here. For you to have an idea, he and his friend Caetano Veloso are like our John Lennon and Paul McCartney. Without Yoko, luckily. And what’s striking is that they are as good as their British fellows. Be sure, I'm not overstating. ;)

Gil was there when Tropicália was born and gave his contribution to its growth. Because his political engagement he was exiled for 3 years (1969-1972) in London during the Military Dictatorship. Years later, in January 2003, he was appointed Minister of Culture by President Lula.


In 1976, Gilberto Gil formed with Caetano, Gal Costa and Maria Bethânia the group “Doces Bárbaros”. “Esotérico” was composed by himself for their eponymous debut album. It was released in a live show in Rio de Janeiro.

In Gil’s official website there is an explanation about the creation of this song. I get so happy when I find these things! I put it below, however, still remembering my friends who complain a lot about my decision to write only in English here, I’ll revenge them now: if you don’t understand Portuguese, you won’t get anything. Rá!

Uma tentativa de transpor a idéia do mistério divino, místico-religioso, para o campo do amor terreno; de desmistificar e humanizar a categorização do esotérico como algo inatingível, colocando-o como inerente à nossa natureza, à complexidade de nosso afeto. O ímpeto da canção nasceu da vontade de falar do sentido esotérico das coisas através de algo que fosse demasidamente humano como é a relação amorosa entre duas pessoas — não deixando, no fim, de remeter a questão para a divindidade (qualquer mistério está aquém do mistério do criador).”

He sings with brother Caê in the YouTube video!

Não adianta nem me abandonar
Porque mistério sempre há de pintar por aí
Pessoas até muito mais vão lhe amar
Até muito mais difíceis que eu pra você
Que eu, que dois, que dez, que dez milhões
Todos iguais

Até que nem tanto esotérico assim
Se eu sou algo incompreensível
Meu Deus é mais
Mistério sempre há de pintar por aí

Não adianta nem me abandonar
Nem ficar tão apaixonada, que nada!
Que não sabe nadar
Que morre afogada por mim


PS: the song stops to play at 2:16. To continue to listen to it, click in the next second.



No comments:

Post a Comment